Fontana delle Tartarughe

Piazza Mattei: The square was the center of the plane belonging to the family Mattei, who was in charge of opening and closing all the doors of the ghetto (Istraelis area). At the center of the square is the magnificent fountain of Turtles (in the ghetto, with people posing, picture of 1868 approximately), designed by Giacomo della Porta in 1585 and whose sculptures of the four ephebuses with one foot resting on dolphin to water in the upper basin. The fountain belongs to a series of fountains and aqueducts built under papacies of Gregorio XIII and Sisto V to improve water supply of Rome.


The Arc of Argentari: (photo about 1885) built in honor of Settimio Severo and Giulia Domnia in 204 AD, located on the side of the church of San Giorgio al Velabro, should be a door that gave access to the Forum by Boario by foreign exchange dealers (argentarii) and merchants (negotiantes), the inclusion of all stated on the lintel from which you removed the names of Geta, son of the Emperor and Plauziano, prefect of the Praetorian Guard with his daughter Plautilla, wife of Caracalla, which were made after killing Caracalla himself. The monument (high 6,8 meters and 5,86 meters wide) is formed with two masonry piers lined with travertine marble supporting a lintel above which were placed the statues.


Foro Romano: Located near the Basilica Emilia, the Temple of Antonino and Faustina (photo of 1859 approximately) it could maintain this in good conditions until today due to its conversion into the church of San Lorenzo in Miranda between the seventh and eighth century AD. The building was built in 141 DC by Emperor Antonino Pio in memory of his wife Faustina and was later dedicated to the emperor by the Senate after his death in 161 AD, as remembered by an inscription on the architrave. The temple stands on a high podium blocks lava stone preceded by a staircase (rebuilt in brick on the old and having some original piece of marble) in the center of which you can see the remains of the altar in brick. The pronao is formed by ten marble columns cipollino, six on the front and two on each side, 17 meters high and with bases and Corinthian capitals of white marble.


Temple of Saturn (photo from 1850-1857): Located next to the portico "degli Dei consenti" and flanked by a hill which leads from the Roman Forum to the Campidoglio hill, you can see the columns of the temple dedicated to Saturn. According to tradition was begun construction towards the end of the period royal; the temple was completed in 498/497 BC around the beginning of the Republic, and later rebuilt in 42 BC with the spoils of war to Syria. The podium, covered with travertine, probably belongs to it restored, while the eight columns of grey granite of the pronao with Ionic capitals in white marble, the architrave and pediment were formed largely from reused materials and belong to a restoration of the fire resulting in 283 AD.


Via dei Fori Imperiali: The Imperial Forums of Rome with the Colosseum is perhaps the best testimony of the greatness and magnificense of the Roman empire. The city, according to tradition founded by Romolo in 751 BC tracing with the plow the perimeter of the original village, during the Republican period becomes the most important center of the entire ancient world. In the first century DC Rome is now a city of over 1 million inhabitants and each emperor develops the complex of holes and the actual needs of the public, and also to affirm the greatness and his family belong.


Arch of Titus: The Arch was built by the Senate in memory of the Emperor Titus after his death in 81 AD. The arc shows the foundations suspended because of an excavation occurred in modern times to bring to light the floor of the Augustan period, but removing the flooring contemporary arc. The Arch has had major struggles over time (in medieval times was incorporated into the construction of the convent of Santa Maria Nova - San Francesca Romana), but was restored to its former glory thanks to the work (1882) conducted by Giuseppe Valadier commissioned by Pio VII with additions of travertine. Looking towards the Roman Forum, on the left side you can see the porters carrying objects captured in the campign of Tito against the Jews. The far right you can see an arch surmounted by two quadriga: this is the Porta Trionfale, located in the Forum Boario, beginning of the ceremony of the triumph. Enrolment original era can be seen on the side to the Colosseum and says: "the Senate and Roman People (dedicated) the idol of the deified Vespasian's son Titus Vespasian.


Arch of Settimio Severo: Located at the foot of the Campidoglio, the Arch of Settimio Severo (photo 1860) was built in 203 AD to celebrate the victories gained by the Emperor against the Parthians. The arch is completely lined in marble, has three arches framed by Corinthian columns set on podiums; is surmounted by a high attic where you can still read the dedicatory inscription (in the fourth line the name and title of Geta, second son of Settimio Severo, were deleted and replaced by the word "optimis fortissimisque principibus" - the excellent and very strong principles - after his assassination, ordered by his brother Caracalla). The decoration of the main facade of the arch is very rich and elaborate. Each column's podium was decorated with figures of Roman soldiers escorting prisoners shares, while the sides are centrally located archway two winged Victories that bring trophies and head for the keystone around which depicts Mars.


Borgo Pio (photo taken from a blimp of 1911), Borgo dei Sassoni, Borgo dei Franchi, Borgo dei Longobardi, Borgo Angelico, Borgo dei Frisoni, Borgo Santo Spirito, Borgo dei Abissini: each of these was like a small town with a school, a church, a hospice that gives it its name, each had its own administration and history. This photo from a precise knowledge of how the Borgo was the first of its destruction (1936 - 1950). The Vatican is still isolated end of the city; on the upper right you can see the quarries and the kilns of the Valley of Hell. From here you can admire the view from the cupola of San Pietro along Borgo Pio, where the road widens into a square which has preserved the look and artisans and shopkeepers in the area, we find a small fountain, quite unique, because it sits alone at the entrance of the square and reminds one of those little kiosks Roman along the Roman roads, dedicated to the pagan gods. The bath is travertine; in it collects the water that feeds the source: the Marcia water. This suggests also the dating: perhaps is the ultimate fountain of Pio IX; the Marcia water, in fact, was made to get into the pipeline Roman in 1870.


Porta Maggiore (photo of 1890) was actually a monumental entrance arch, built (completed in 52 AD) by Emperor Claudio to roll out of its pipeline aqueduct. Under the arch, placed in one of the highest areas of the city, where other waterworks had their own castles distribution, passed two important roads: the Prenestina and Labicana. During the construction of the walls Aurelian wanted to include in it and adapt it to Door. It was called the Porta Maggiore to indicate the road that led pilgrims to Santa Maria Maggiore. On the outside of the walls lies a particular tomb of the Republican period. Artifact plays an oven. On the frieze are represented as bags of flour, processing and sale of bread. It was the tomb of the baker Eurisace and his wife Atinia, brought to light at the end of the nineteenth century.


Palazzo Venezia forms the western side of the square. Was the first Renaissance palace built in Rome in 1455 for the Venetian cardinal Pietro Barbo, who later became Pope with the name Paolo II. The project is attributed to Leon Battista Alberti. The palace has the characteristics of a fortress on the upper floor windows to the elegant and refined cruise show the Renaissance elements. The portal, attributed to Giovanni Dalmata shows the seal of the Barbo. Beautiful internal courtyard then order of the columns, Tuscan on the first floor and Ionic and Corinthian on the second recalls the arches of the Colosseum. To the south, around the airy backdrop of the Capitoline hill stood the Venetian palace, which in 1882 was dismantled and rebuilt behind the Palazzo Venezia in angular position of the basilica of San Marco (located in square San Marco - the picture shows the square before its destruction in the central via San Marco with the arc of the runners to the Capitol), to leave more room for the Victorian. The Basilica of San Marco, founded in 336 by the homonymous pope was restored in 792 and rebuilt in 833. Paolo II between 1466 and 1469 the renewed completely sucked into the Palazzo Venezia during the extension works. Inside, the Hall Regia has traces of paintings by Donato Bramante and the Hall of the Globe, and decorated with traditional perspectives of Andrea Mantegna. The Palace was sold in 1564 to the Venetian Republic as the site of Ambassadors. After the Treaty of Campoformio went to Austria for its embassy, in 1916 the palace was claimed by Italy. It owes its fame to the fact that here Mussolini settled his headquarters occupying the vast hall of the globe, and launching his speeches to the masses from the small balcony on the second floor. Passing the night in the deserted square Venezia, one could see a window from the light always lit: sign that the fascist government never rests. Today the Palace houses the Museum of Palazzo Venezia, full of very diverse collections, tapestries, marbles, guns, silverware, ceramics and the very important library of the Institute of Archeology and Art History.


Piazza del Quirinale. The square takes its name from Palazzo del Quirinale, and how much of the Roman monuments, is the result of actions by arrangement. The core of the urban square is the Fountain of Dioscuri, named for the two large statues of Roman period found in the Baths of Costantino and ordered to decorate the tank, which in turn comes from the Roman Forum. Only later was placed the obelisk, which originally adorned the entrance of the Mausoleum of Augusto. The square surrounded by buildings of great importance, not only architecturally. The first and most important is obviously the Palazzo del Quirinale. Before this, the Palace of the Stables, built to accomodate the many carriages of the Pontifical Court, recently renovated by Gae Aulenti and adapted to exhibition space. On the opposite side of the square is the Palazzo della Consulta found instead was built in 700 to house the court della Consulta and now the seat of the Constitutional Court. Just beyond, on the slopes of the hill, is the Palazzo Pallavicini-Rospigliosi with the famous Casino dell'Aurora affrescato by Guido Reni and considered one of the greatest masterpieces of the classical current '600.


Via delle Quattro Fontane: The long road (2787 meters) straight starting at the Trinità dei Monti (photo 1856) and arrived at Santa Croce in Jerusalem was called "strada Felice", that the first name of Pope Sisto V (Felice Perretti), who wanted to open a long road to connect the Pincio with the basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore and her villa with nearbya Montalto. In the Nolli map of 1748, the road shown in all its extension, while in 1878, the street is gone. It fractionation, in fact, taking the names of via Sistina, via delle Quattro Fontane, via Agostino Depretis, via Carlo Alberto, via Conte Verde, via di Santa Croce in Gerusalemme: all names given to streets after 1870. When, Sisto V had opened his via Felice, wanted the culmination of it, before falling back toward the esquilino, was adorned with four statues of saints, placed at each corner of the crossroads. The statues of saints were preferred by Domenico Fontana four fountains which give the name of the street, each surmounted by a recumbent statue, larger than the natural, scenic backgrounds and vegetable ornaments, among whose ravines flowing streams of water that poured in the pan.


Via Veneto: The whole area of Via Veneto in Rome, made famous as the hub world of the capital of the period of the "dolce vita" of the cinema of Fellini, was designed around 1889 and called Vittorio Veneto. The track running from Porta Pinciana and ends in square Barberini, through the old family property Ludovisi, and is marked by the presence of numerous hotels and cafes that are still now, as in the 60s, a privileged stage for the Roman stays Italian and foreign celebrities. Via Veneto is also facing the Embassy of the United States of America hosted in the Palazzo Margherita and the church of Santa Maria della Concezione, also known to the Romans with the name of "i Cappuccini", built around 1624 by cardinal Antonio Barberini, the area of the existing church of San Antonio da Padova.


The Vittoriano (aerial view): The name comes from Vittorio Emanuelle II, the first king of Italy. At his death in 1878, it was decided to erect a monument to celebrate the father of his country and with him the entire season risorgimento. The Vittoriano had to be a space open to the public. The monument was inaugurated by Vittorio Emanuelle III June 4, 1911. It was the highlight of the exhibition celebrating the fifty years of international united Italy.


Square San Giovanni in Laterano: The basilica of San Giovanni in Laterano (Caput et mater omnium ecclesiarum Urbis et Orbis) in Rome, located in the southern part of the Celio hill, property that belonged to the family of the imperial era Laterani and to whom they were stolen by Nerone after the consoles Plauzio Laterano had attempt on his life during a conspiracy. After some minor interventions of the emperors Marco Aurelio and Settimio Severo, around 313 AD area was built by order of Costantino, a basilica of San Giovanni in Laterano, after being home to the first council of Melchiade against the Donatists, suffered the depredations of Alaric and the Vandals of Genserico. From 440 AD structure underwent several restorations and interventions by Leone Magno, Ilario, Adriano I and Sergio II, however due to the earthquake of 896 AD the church was almost completely destroyed. Innocenzo X was that he realized that we needed a complete rebuilding of the basilica and entrusted the work to Borromini. The front to five fornicate characterized by 15 grandiose statues of Christ surrounded by saints, is the 1734 draft instead of Alessandro Galilei, who, according to some, was preferred to Luigi Vanvitelli by Pope Clemente XII for the common origins of Tuscany. Through the front portico, which houses the statue of Costantino's old place at the Imperial baths on the Quirinale, and the five gates, including those bronze stations of the first century BC were merged to the palace of the Senate in the Forum, you enter the basilica with 5 naves and a Latin cross plant along approximately 130 meters.


Via dei condotti: The Via dei condotti, a showcase of the Italian and European Union, tooks its name from the underground water pipelines built in the XVI century, the time of Pope Gregorio XIII, to bring water from the reservoir of Pincio arrives at the Campo Marzio. The road became inevitable meeting point of the extraordinary mixture of social strata in this district, populated by aristocrats, artists, foreigners, merchants and poor people who lived port activities. At Via dei Condotti, at the initiative of a greek, Nicola della Maddalena, was born in '700 the most famous cafe in the city: the ancient Greek coffee. Became a meeting place for artists, port of all passengers, a reference point for intellectuals politically engaged: rooms Coffee exude memoirs and expose the signatures of those who attended. Another important building of via condotti is the palace of the order of Malta. Born in the XII century for hospital care of the Crusaders in Jerusalem, the Order's headquarters in Malta lasted until 1798, when, driven by Napoleon, was forced to take refuge in the papal city.


Via del Corso (photo of 1890), the result of the arrangement of the Via Lata (the time of Augusto), an ancient urban stretch of the Via Flaminia, was the first straight in Rome. From the fifteenth rearragement of Piazza Venezia, the road was involved in a number of urban and architectural interventions which led to the birth, along its 1500 meters, a significant number of buildings and monumental churches. When Rome became the capital, the route, which until then had been the site of festivals, shows and parades, underwent a new transformation, acquiring the role, which still retains the commercial and political heart of the new city. The palace of the Rinascente, (entrance also on Largo Chigi - photo of 1890) exemplifies the connotation of the commercial street, was built in 1885 according to the canons of this new class of Parisian buildings. Just behind the palace of the Rinascente, at the site of the ancient Palazzo Piombino, was built in 1914 the Gallery Alberto Sordi. The building, from the little Roman character, was born in response to the needs of the bourgeoisie to recent immigrants, whose social life was punctuated by the chatter in the cafe, from the purchases and family walks. The peculiarity politicy of Via del Corso is one of his greatest matches in the Palazzo Chigi and the nearby Palazzo Montecitorio.



Protestant Cemetery (photo of 1866): Before that, in 1837, had established the Campo Verano, several small cemeteries dot the uninhabited areas within the circle of the Aurelian Walls. Of these, the Protestant Cemetery in via Caio Cestio is the only one to have preserved the site and function. The community of foreigners resident in Rome had acquired in the early decades of the eighteenth century a small area behind the Pyramid Cestia to serve as the burial place of their deceased. Until then, it is almost entirely different from the catholic religion, foreigners were not allowed burial within the walls, and although they have no definite information, it is believed that they were buried outside the walls. Archaeological excavations began in 1928 to bring to light the base of the Pyramid Cestia returned the remains and a lead plate of what appears to be the oldest burial site, dated 1738 and belonging to an Englishman named Langton. However, it was the early nineteenth century that the place took on a special charm that made him dear to the romantic sensibilities of artists. In fact, more artists are buried here Wagner, Nietzsche, Shelley, Keats, Severn, Reinhart. Despite the granting of burial within the walls, as already mentioned above, the burial of non-Catholics took place at night, and for compliance with the law of the Papal State, both to decrease the risk of retaliation and manifestations of religious intolerance. As evidence of this, in 1824, Leone XII authorized the excavation of a moat which constrain, or at least impede, the frequent desecration. Only in 1870, was now buried, was replaced by a wall.


The bridge Sant'Angelo originally called bridge Elio, was built in 136 AD to connect Rome to the Mausoleum of Hadrian, now Castel Sant'Angelo. It's the most beautiful and most perfect of Roman bridges: no flood of the Tiber has ever damaged. Since medieval times was the shortest route frequented by pilgrims directed to St. Peter. From here, among others, passed Dante Alighieri came to Rome for the Jubilee of 1300. The tragedy of the Holy Year 1450, when the parapet of the bridge is not resisted the pressure of the crowd and caused the downfall and death by drowning of 150 people, convinced Pope Sixtus IV to eliminate stores that restrict the passage and provide for construction of a new bridge, just downstream. The final landscaping was completed in 1600 with the arrangement of angels designed by Bernini. Crossing the bridge you are at the heart of the story behind the medieval town and the square was the scene of executions until the end of the 1800, before the bulk of Castel Sant'Angelo, on the left the dome of St. Peter and on the right bridge Umberto I and the Palace of Justice, the symbols of Rome Capital.

Basilica dei SS. John and Paul: The church dates back to 398 AD and was built by senator Bizante on the house where the two Roman officers, John and Paul were martyred in 362 by Terenziano. Damaged by the incursion of barbarian Alaric in 410, and the earthquake of 442, and by the plundering of the Normans in 1084, was built and again during the pontificate of Pasquale I (817-824) was built the convent and the belltower began six orders with double lancet windows ended around 1150. Renovations and alterations followed until 1952 when it restored the facade of early Christian  typology open. The basilica is indeed preceded by a portico with architrave resting on ancient columns. The interior is divided into three aisles by pillars flanked the original columns. At the center of the basilica, a plaque marks the place where the two saints were martyred. Under the right aisle during the excavations of 1887 were brought to light four rooms dating from I to IV century AD with frescoes and paintings of the period. The entrance is on the Clivus Scauro.


Via IV Novembre e via Cesare battisti.






Corso Vittorio Emanuele

Legend has it that the island was formed in 510 BC by sheaves (bundles of wheat) of wheat harvested in Campo Marzio, owned by the king Tarquinius Superbus when given to: studies show that the island has origins much earlier event. Little involved in the vicissitudes of the city, for this reason it housed the temple of Aesculapius, the god of medicine, whose cult was introduced in 292 BC following a plague. In the first half of the first century BC work was a monument in a square, parallel to the construction of bridges and Fabricio basket, and the Vicus Censorius that linked them into it: will mirror the shape of a ship, whose bow is still visible today, with travertine blocks that line the interior lava stone, and some decorations depicting Asclepius with his snake and a bull's head, maybe useful for the moorings. At the center there was the obelisk, a symbol depicting a mast, remember arriving in 292 BC Epidaurus by the worship of deities. Two years before, in fact, some papers had gone into town to see the Greek gods after a terrible plague: the myth that a snake - a symbol of God - walked away from the temple and got into the ship, and once they arrive in Rome the same animal stabilendovisi descended on the island, after building a temple dedicated to god, it is said that the plague miraculously vanished.


Piazza Pia


Piazza San Silvestro


Ponte rotto


Via della Pilotta






Print this page