Church and steps of Trinita' dei Monti, about 1856.




The slopes of Trinità dei Monti was a subject particularly dear to the early photographers active in Rome and related to the artistic climate that characterized the international and Greek Cafe to Via dei Condotti from which you enjoyed the view portrayed here; images of this type indicate a clear derivation from the pictorial art of viewing photographs of the first. At the kiosk right in the photograph that appears, you notice some blurry prints, known as "ghost photo": ephemeral traces left by people on the negative too quickly entered the field of photography in order to remain imprinted on the negative given the significant length of exposure times (20 minutes and more). The photo archive comunal still 13 prints made by various photographers identified and dated between 1853 and ‘56, joined together by the peculiarity of causing all publicetur pontifical.



The square is one of the most characteristic and offers a splendid panorama of the center of Rome. Dominated by the facade of the church of “Trinità dei Monti”, built in 1502 and consecrated in 1587 by Pope Sisto V, who made a key point of his ambitious development plan, became the starting point of via Felice, then via Sistina, straight that led pilgrims the basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore. At the center of the square is the obelisk, a point of convergence of several roads. Roman imitation of the Egyptian obelisks, dating back to imperial gardens Sallustiani comes from, but was placed here as an element of connection between the church and the stairway. The hieroglyphs were carved in Rome by imitating those of the obelisk of “Piazza del Popolo”.


Corner formed by the convergence of via Sistina and via Gregoriana is Palace Zuccari, designed by Federico Zuccari and known by the nickname “House of Monsters” because the windows on the sides are shaped mouth of monsters. Lived the queen of Poland Maria Sobiesky. Downstage the church is the monumental stairway of Trinità dei Monti designed in 1726 by Francesco De Sanctis and built entirely in “travertine”. Choosing as reference and inspiration for the number three, in honor of Trinity church, De Sanctis creates a series of ramps divided into three parts which unite and then converge immediately in two directions in alternating convex and concave walls, steps and to plans break. Since 1951 the period from April to May is held a major exhibition of azaleas that give the stairs a particular fascination.

Print this page