Popolo square, about 1890.


Civil bowlers hats and apron tied at the waist for women in a disorienting mix. In the shadow of the obelisk of Piazza del Popolo - who was paired with that of San Giovanni, built on the spine of the Circo Massimo - the boundary between countryside and city is only a fuzzy line. And besides the campaign will arise where you open the Flaminio district, just outside the door, which bears the signature side of Bernini and beyond that of Vignola, and perhaps Michelangelo. "Regina portarum", as via Appia was always the "Regina viarum". The two side arches were added in 1877, as a plaque explains, "for ease of happy people increased after Rome was claimed to Italy".


It is nine in the morning and in the square at the extreme north of Rome march direct to the Pincio, perhaps for an exercise, the troops of the garrison, dressed in dark uniforms and white Kepi. The sides, the twin buildings designed by Valadier, which houses the barracks (left) and the convent of Santa Maria of Popolo (right). In the foreground the tram tracks: the horse connected the square with bridge Milvio and costs 15 cents. But dreaming of electric tram was not so proverbial utopia; the ticket to get in the car still costs less, 10 cents. Following the direction of tracks, we arrived at the slaughterhouse, later transferred to Testaccio, a complex of buildings more rational. Behind the viewer, open the ways of the Trident: Babuino, Corso, Ripetta.

Print this page