Remainds of the pediment of the Portico d'Ottavia, about 1880.
There was a time in when we were fishing for sturgeon in the Tiber, which were exposed for sale on "the fish stones", polished the windows and tilted around the fish market. We are facing the church of Sant'Angelo in Peschiera, the temple in the temple, nestled among the ruins of the monumental portico of Ottavia. Hence, after having heard mass, Cola di Rienzo part in the conquest of the Campidoglio. The church bears this name because its churchyard for years, until the end of 800, was the scene of that trade. As evidenced also the marble affixed to the right, which bears carved a precise standard for the tax payable, in goods, the Conservatives, Capitoline magistrates. The original can still be seen on the stairway inside the palace of the Conservatives and a magnificent carved door sturgeon. Commercial environment has been some trace of the butcher's shop hidden behind the first column on the left.
It is hard to get an idea of the porch loyal dedicated by Octavian's sister, the imposing rectangular (132 meters long by 119 wide): one that appears in a photograph is just one of its propylaea. The original version constited of a double colonnade in which they were enclosed in two temples and a library, as well as some statues of Lisippo. The kids are fascinated by the bulky equipment of the photographer are deployed in the Jewish district demolished around 1886. The complex of the portico of Octavia overlooking the Circo Flaminio (area corresponding to the old district) was rebuilt by Augusto, instead of the more ancient portico of Metello, between 27 and 23 BC and dedicated on behalf of his sister Octavia.
Damaged by fire in 80 and was rebuilt in 191 by Settimio Severo (203). At this stage belong to most of the remains visible today. Was a quadrangle of meter 119 x 132, with an aisle on the front, two on the sides, which included the temple of Giunone Regina and Giove Statore, the Curia and two libraries, Greek and Latin. The primary side of the porch to the Circo Flaminio and the southeast corner are, in large part, preserved and visible. The front was interrupted in the middle of great propylaea. This monumental entrance consisted of a room, whose side walls were brick, marble, provided with openings at the wings of the portico.
The facades were four columns between pilasters, of the Corinthian order decorated by an eagle. The lintel shows the dedicatory inscription of 203, the pediment is without decorations; missing a gabled roof. The wings of the portico were built up by a row of columns, front and rear brick wall. The arms of the portico, accessible at the ends of other monumental entrances decorated with columns, were closed to the inside, open only at the second intercolumniation from the corners.
Print this page