Campo dei' Fiori.
The square of Campo dei Fiori in Rome is famous for the episode that saw the philosopher Giordano Bruno burned at the stake by the Catholic Inquisition accused of heresy on February 17, 1600. The execution is now commemorated by a statue erected in 1889 and placed in the center of the Campo dei Fiori on the initiative of the poet Pietro Cossa and by the sculptor Ettore Ferrari. The topography of the place, which some propose to trace the fact that one of the mistresses of the Emperor Pompeo, Flora, have lived in this area, it is more likely to include the aspect of total abandon that place, invaded by plants and flowers showed in the XV century. Today, Campo dei Fiori, away from the more usual tourist route, is one of the places where Rome shows with most transparency its most authentic character from the early morning with its open market until late at night with the entertainment offered by bars, restaurants and eating area.
In this small and controversial square and surrounding streets you can breathe an atmosphere of unusual mixed between history and Romanism. To center the statue of Giordano Bruno, philosopher burned alive here by order of the Tribunal of the inquisition. In the evening the steps of the monument as the locals crowding around the square, while the morning comes alive the most typical, noisy, Roman market. The tour continues down the left field where Via dei Baullari leads to Piazza Farnese, seat of French Embassy. The palace was begun in 1514 by Antonio Sangallo il Giovane, continued after his death (1546) by Michelangelo and later completed by Giacomo Della Porta. Inside the famous gallery, [20 meters by 6] with frescoes by Annibale Carracci, with the help of his brother Agostino and painters Domenichino and Giovanni Lanfranco.
To the west of the square stands the pretty little church of Santa Brigida of Sweden and go straight to Via di Monserrato, we find ourselves in front of the church of San Girolamo, founded in the Middle Ages and restored in 1600. Inside the Chapel Spada, resplendent with polychrome marble, is one of the last works of the Borromini (1660). A few yards ahead a plaque located at number 12 reminds us that here once was the prison of Corte Savella, where the eleventh of September 1599 was taken from the young Beatrice Cenci, who was accused of having caused the death of his father and taken to the gallows. Back at the Piazza Farnese exceeded the Embassy once a second right into Via del Polverone where there is the important gallery Spada. Among the authors exposed Domenichino, Guido Reni, Orazio e Artemisia Gentileschi. Leaving the art gallery we continue straight for Piazza di Quercia and Via dei Ballestrari that leads to Via dei Giubbonari. Here, turning right, we come to the church of San Carlo ai Catinari, built by Rosato Rosati (1612-20).
Leaving the church througLeaving the church through Via Arenula to turn in Via di Santa Maria del Pianto. The road leading to the Portico d'Ottavia, erected by Quinto Cecilio Metello in 146 BC, later rebuilt by Augusto between 27 and 23 BC who dedicated it to his sister Ottavia, to be rebuilt in 203 by Settimio Severo and Caracalla.h Via Arenula to turn in Via di Santa Maria del Pianto. The road leading to the Portico d'Ottavia, erected by Quinto Cecilio Metello in 146 BC, later rebuilt by Augusto between 27 and 23 BC who dedicated it to his sister Ottavia, to be rebuilt in 203 by Settimio Severo and Caracalla.
Print this page