Wall of the Arch of Pantani and view of the entablature of the Temple of Mars Ultor, about 1910.


Mr.President, help internet in Italy

White linen blouses, straw hats and clothes hanging in the early century: parade the residents of the neighborhood Monti. This, at the mouth of Baccina away, was the gateway to the densely populated cluster of houses, palaces and churches that would later disappeared to make way for the path of via dei Fori Imperiali. Beyond the arc, the capitals of Corinthian columns of the temple of Marts Ultor in the Forum of Augustus. Columns cut by a great wall of stone gabina: for the ancient equivalent of asbestos, with marvelous resilience to attacks of the fire. It was not a case where it is precisely because of the legendary powers attributed to this material, the wall had been constructed to act as barrier between the Forum and the Suburra: in the neighborhood fires were very frequent. Other columns, not shown in the picture, face left again.



They were part of the Forum of Nerva, but were commonly known "Colonnacce" and for years were violated with impunity by the teaching of a baker who lived with the ruins. Nathaniel Hawthorne thus describes: "Being half buried in the stratification of the soil, seem to rise from the dead Rome like a flow of tides". When he started the digging of the Forum, the street level was lowered a lot and do not pass under the arch more: was reduced to a huge balcony overlooking the expanse of the Forum, on the Palatino and the Campidoglio. The sacred newsstand is still intact in its place, to corner of the street.

Print this page